Creator in Residence Legal Rules
Sony Electronics’ Alpha Female Creator in Residence 2019-2020 Program Contest
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
(Revised August 19, 2019)
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MUST BE AT LEAST 21 YEARS OF AGE AT TIME OF ENTRY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT ENHANCE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THIS CONTEST IS INTENDED FOR PLAY IN THE UNITED STATES AND DC (EXCLUDING TERRITORIES) AND CANADA (EXCLUDING THE PROVINCE OF QUEBEC) ONLY AND WILL BE GOVERNED BY APPLICABLE U.S. AND CANADIAN LAW. DO NOT ENTER IF YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE AND LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES OR CANADA AT THE TIME OF ENTRY AND/OR DO NOT AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
1. THE CONTEST: Open and offered only to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, and Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec) who are at least 21 years of age at time of entry. Sony Electronics’ Alpha Female Creator in Residence 2019-2020 Program Contest ("Contest") consists of seven (6) prizes for the most compelling submission as more fully set forth below for four (4) female creators with a commitment to photography/videography and two (2) female creators with a commitment to filmmaking. The Contest starts July 30, 2019 at 12:00:01 P.M., Pacific Time ("PT") and ends September 15, 2019 at 11:59:59 P.M. PT (“Contest Period”). ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN 11:59:59 PM PT on September 15, 2019. Sponsor’s computer is the official clock for the Contest. Void in Puerto Rico, the Province of Quebec and where prohibited by law.
2. HOW TO ENTER – INTERNET ACCESS REQUIRED:
To enter the Contest the Entrant must complete the following steps:
STEP 1: Entrant must have or open an account – and complete Entrant’s profile – at Alpha Universe located at https://alphauniverse.com/alpha-female/ (“Contest Site”) to submit entry.
STEP 2: Enter the Contest via the “Enter Now” button.
STEP 3: Entrant must be a female and submit the following information on the Contest Site during the Contest Period where indicated:
Entrant must enter the Contest in one category as a (1) photographer and/or videographer; OR (2) filmmaker;
Within a 500-word limit, Entrants in the category of photographer and/or videographer must answer:
· “What is your current, biggest career challenge and how do you envision overcoming it?”
Within a 500-word limit, Entrants in the category of filmmaker, must answer:
· “What type of short film project would you create with the prize money?”
BUDGET PLAN: Entrant must submit a high-level budget plan (up to 500 words) detailing what the Entrant would spend the prize money on for the stated goals of the Program (for photographers and/or videographers the goal is overall career growth, and for filmmakers the goal is the creation of a short film during the six (6) months of the Program);
PHOTOS/VIDEO: Entrant, as noted below per category, must submit:
· Photographers and/or Videographers: Up to five (5) photos and/or video samples of the Entrant’s best work (provide with EXIF data; max file size 5,000 pixels in length).
· Filmmakers: One (1) sample of the entrant’s work (no longer than three (3) minutes in length).
CONTEST VIDEO: Entrant must submit a video no more than one (1) minute in length of the Entrant explaining why she is best suited for the Creator-in-Residence Program (video may be submitted in the form of a YouTube or Vimeo URL—the video can be unlisted (private) but not password-protected).
Submissions created utilizing any brand of digital imaging products – including non-Sony branded products – may be submitted materials to enter the Contest. All submitted materials, including, without limitation, the photos and/or video files will not be returned to entrant (collectively “Submissions”). Entrant should retain and store the original versions or formats of the Submissions.
3. SUBMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS: Submissions: (i) must be in the English language or accompanied with an English translation of the audio or visual text; (ii) must be the exclusive original work of the Entrant; (iii) may not be inappropriate, offensive, libelous or defamatory, pornographic, sexually explicit, unlawful or plagiarized, as determined by Sony in its sole discretion; (iv) must not be harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, profane, obscene, excessively violent, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or offensive in any way, as determined by Sony in its sole discretion; (v) may not violate or encourage others to violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation; (vi) may not defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or property rights or any other third party rights; (vii) may not contain commercial or corporate advertising, other than those relating to Sony; (viii) may not include any website URLs, viruses, worms, corrupt files, Trojan horses, or other forms of corruptive code or content that may harm or compromise the proper conduct of the Contest; (ix) may not use any watermarks or distinguishing artist marks (such as signatures); and (x) if found to be in violation of these Contest Rules will be disqualified and therefore removed from the Contest.
By submitting an entry, Entrant represents that (i) she has the unrestricted right to submit the entry; and (ii) the entry does not infringe upon any third party’s proprietary or other rights. No damaged, incomplete, forged or appropriated entries will be accepted.
Entrant may enter a maximum of one (1) entry for the Contest.
4. SELECTION OF WINNERS: All eligible entries will be judged on or before October 23, 2019 by Sony, in its sole discretion, based on the following criteria.
CRITERIA REGARDING QUESTION & BUDGET PLAN:
· Relevance to Creator-in-Residence Program – 50%
· Quality of response – 20%
· Vision – 20%
· Organization – 10%
CRITERIA REGARDING PHOTOS/VIDEOS:
· Technical – 25%
· Composition – 25%
· Creativity – 25%
· Relevance – 25%
CRITERIA REGARDING CONTEST VIDEO:
· Passion for the Program and clarity of how winning will impact Entrant – 100%
5. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES ("ARV"): TOTAL OF SIX (6) CONTEST PRIZES: There will be four (4) female winners in the category of Photographer/Videographer and two (2) female winners in the category of Filmmaker, each of the six winners will receive:
· Participation in the Alpha Female Creator in Residence Program, which shall be for a six (6) month time-period (November 2019-April 2020) (“Program”);
· Digital Imaging Mentorship with Sony and its designees;
· $21,000 to use for the winner’s Program participation:
o In the category of Photographer and/or Videographer: payable in $3,500 check per month over the six (6) month timeframe of the Program;
o In the category of Filmmaker: Payable according to plan agreed-upon by filmmaker and Sony, subject to Sony’s final, unilateral decision, to complete Program within the six (6) month timeframe of the Program;
· Winner must fully participate in the Program during the entire Program or the prize will be deemed forfeited and any remaining prize not yet received or used will be forfeited;
· Sony Electronics Inc. products valued at $5,000 (based on estimated retail value) (“Sony Products”);
· Travel and Lodging to attend three (3) events that require the winner’s presence that consists of:
- Roundtrip economy/coach class airfare for the winner departing from an airport near the winner’s residence (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) and arriving at an airport in or near Program events/functions (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) (the “Airport”);
- Hotel accommodation at a hotel near the event location (“Hotel”);
- One (1) ground transportation service from Airport to the Hotel to event location;
- One (1) ground transportation service from the Hotel to Airport after event; and
- Per diem at $100 per day for each event reimbursed after the event concludes.
ARV of all Contest prize for each winner is: $55,800 USD. Total ARV Contest prize package $334,800 USD.
All federal, state, provincial and local taxes and fees associated with the prize receipt and/or use, if any, are solely the responsibility of winner. Canadian residents may also be subject to withholding taxes and are responsible for the reporting and payment of any income tax. The winner will be responsible for paying all costs and expenses related to the prize that are not specifically mentioned herein, including but not limited to, taxes, additional transportation, food and beverages, gratuities, incidentals, souvenirs, baggage costs, telephone charges, excursions, travel insurance, upgrades, and any other expenses that might reasonably be incurred by winner in receiving or using the prize.
Exact date and time of travel is to be determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. The ARV represents Sponsor’s good faith determination. That determination is final and binding and cannot be appealed. Actual value of the prize may vary based on factors at time of booking, including, but not limited to, dates of travel, date and time of travel booking, airfare fluctuations, and distance between departure and destination.
If the winner resides within a 125-mile radius of the Hotel, air transportation may not be provided and winner may be provided with ground transportation to/from winner’s residence to Hotel in lieu thereof. The winner must have and are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary identification and/or travel documents required for travel, including, but not limited to, a valid U.S. driver’s license or government issued passport (if applicable). If the potential winner is unable to participate in the prize during the dates specified, the prize may be forfeited and Sponsor may select an alternative potential winner for the prize. The winner must comply with all rules and regulations regarding the event locations, Hotel, Airport and third parties associated with the Contest or prize fulfillment. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of such portion of prize. Upon any prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
IMPORTANT: Sony has no responsibility for a winner’s inability or failure to accept or utilize a prize as described herein. Except for the cash prize, the other prizes are not redeemable for cash. All prizes in this Contest are nontransferable, non-assignable and non-substitutable except that Sony may, at its sole discretion, substitute a prize or any component thereof with one of equal or greater value. The potential winners of the Contest will each be required to sign and return within ten (10) days of notification or attempted notification of being a potential winner, an Affidavit of Eligibility/Compliance (including Social Security Number/information as required for tax reporting purposes) & Publicity/Liability Release (where permitted by law), or the prize will be forfeited in its entirety and, time allowing, an alternate potential winner(s) will be selected. Additionally, the winners will each receive a Form 1099 or other document in the amount of the actual value of the prize, as required by law. Persons under the age of 21 years (as of the date of entry) are not eligible to enter or win the Contest.
If a potential winner is found to be ineligible, is not in compliance with these Contest Rules, does not respond to the phone call or e-mail in a timely manner, is disqualified or forfeits prize for any reason, declines to accept the prize, or if the prize notification or prize is returned as undeliverable, Sponsor reserves the right to award the prize to an alternate entrant who will also be selected per the judging criteria from all remaining non-winning entries received during the Contest Period. If after a good-faith attempt Sponsor is unable to award or deliver a prize, the prize will not be awarded.
6. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to persons who are legal residents of, and living within, the 50 United States and District of Columbia (excluding territories) and Canada (excluding the province of Quebec), at least 21 years of age, as of the date of entry except officers, directors, and employees (and members of their household and of their immediate families, i.e., parents, children, stepchildren, spouse, siblings, "step" of each and persons residing in the same household of such immediate family members) of Sony, its subsidiaries, affiliates, sales representatives, distributors, advertising/Contest/web design agencies and/or their affiliates, assigns or representatives; (hereinafter referred to collectively as "Sony & Others"), and all other persons or entities associated with the development, administration, Contest, execution of, or supply to this Contest.
7. RELEASE: By acceptance of a prize, the winner releases Sony & Others, from and against any and all liability and claims or causes of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property with respect to all aspects of this Contest, including those arising out of participation in this Contest, any prize related activity whether sponsored by Sony & Others or third parties, or the acceptance or possession or use/misuse of the prize or any component of the prize.
ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SONY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a potential winner based on an email address, the winning entry will be deemed to have been made by the Authorized Account Holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. SONY MAKES NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT.
9. DISPUTES: Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Contest Rules shall be governed by the laws of the State of Delaware, United States. All disputes arising out of or connected with this Contest will be resolved individually, and without resort to class action. Should there be a conflict between the laws of the State of Delaware and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of the State of Delaware. All judgments or awards shall be limited to actual incurred out-of-pocket expenses (excluding attorneys' fees) associated with participation in this Contest and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.
10. GENERAL: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to these Contest Rules and the decisions of Sony, which are final and binding in all matters and all respects relating to this Contest. This Contest is void in Puerto Rico and Quebec and wherever else prohibited by law.
By participating in the Contest and providing the Submissions to the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, each entrant shall retain all right, title and interest (including copyright) in and to the Submission. Entrant acknowledges that Submissions will not be returned to entrant. Acceptance of a prize constitutes the winner's consent to the use of her name, biographical information, photograph, and/or likeness for advertising and publicity purposes as determined by Sony or its designees without further compensation, except where prohibited by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Sony & Others are not responsible for any entries and/or entries that are lost, late, undelivered, misdelivered or postage due mail.
11. WINNERS LIST: For the name of the winners, no later than December 15, 2019, check the Alpha Universe website at https://alphauniverse.com/alpha-female/ or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Alpha Female Creator in Residence 2019-2020Program Winners List, 16535 Via Esprillo, San Diego, CA 92127.
Sponsor: Sony Electronics Inc., 16535 Via Esprillo, San Diego, CA 92127.
Sony Electronics’ Alpha Female Creator in Residence 2019-2020 Program Contest Rules may not be reprinted or republished in whole or in part without the prior written permission of Sony Electronics Inc.
Copyright 2019 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved.