Be Alpha Challenge Contest Rules
SONY ELECTRONIC’S BE ALPHA CHALLENGE: PHOTOGRAPHY EXCURSION CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING
Eligibility: Open and offered only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are 21 years of age or older at time of entry, who own or have access to a Sony camera as of October 15, 2018. Employees, officers and directors of Sony Electronics Inc. (“Sponsor”), Gage Marketing Group, LLC (“Administrator”), and their respective parent entity, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, advertising, promotion, or production agencies, any companies who are promotional participants or prize providers, web masters and web suppliers (and their respective IRS dependents, immediate family members (parent, child, sibling and spouse) and individuals residing in their same household) are not eligible to participate. Void where prohibited by law.
How to Enter: Beginning 12:00:00 p.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) on October 16, 2018 through 11:59:59 a.m. PT on November 6, 2018 visit www.AlphaUniverse.com/social and follow the directions to set up an Alpha Universe account. It is free to set up an Alpha Universe account. Once your Alpha Universe account is set up, click on “Enter” to complete the entry form in its entirety and submit (a) an essay that describes how you exemplify the theme: “being Alpha” and what “Be Alpha” means to you (the “Essay”) and (b) two (2) photos that show what “Be Alpha” means to you (each, a “Photo” and collectively, the “Photos”). The Essay and the Photos are hereinafter collectively referred to as an “Entry”.
Limit one (1) Entry per person. No correspondence regarding the screening or verification of Entries will be undertaken by Sponsor. Entry must conform to the Entry Guidelines defined below. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify entrant from the Contest if it believes that entrant’s Entry fails to conform to the Entry Guidelines. Once an Entry is submitted, you may not edit the Entry or resubmit your Entry with edits. All materials submitted will not be returned.
• Essay must be in English, except for commonly understood foreign words;
• Essay must not exceed 1,000 characters;
• Each Photo must not exceed 5MB in file size;
• Photos must be taken with a Sony camera;
• Photos must include EXIF data
• Entries must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including, but not limited to, privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
• Entries must be your own original, unpublished work which is owned by you and has not been submitted to any other third party, including another promotion, contest or sweepstakes;
• Entries must be non-confidential and have been legally created (i.e., does not violate any laws or regulations in the making of the Entry);
• Entries must be suitable for publication in a public forum (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion);
• Entries must not disparage Sponsor, or any other person or party affiliated with the promotion and administration of this Contest;
• Entries must not in any way mention, refer or otherwise allude to the name, logo or trademark of any entity, individual, product or brand other than those of Sponsor;
• Entries must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, lewd, pornographic, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous (as determined by Sponsor at Sponsor’s sole discretion);
• Entries must not include personally identifiable information;
• Entries must not contain, facilitate, reference or use material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, political orientation, citizenship, ancestry, marital status or age (as determined by Sponsor at Sponsor’s sole discretion);
• Entries must not contain any viruses, spyware, malware or other malicious components that are designed to harm the functionality of a computer in any way; and
• Entries must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where entry is created.
FURTHER DOCUMENTATION: If Sponsor shall desire to secure additional assignments or certificates of engagement for the Entry or other documents as Sponsor may reasonably require in order to effectuate the purposes and intents of these Official Rules, then each entrant agrees to sign the same upon Sponsor’s request therefor.
JUDGING: A qualified panel of judges will judge all eligible Entries based on the following criteria:
a) Essay (50%)
- Quality of composition (spelling, grammar, coherence and clarity)
- Relevance to the theme “being” “Alpha” and what “Be Alpha” means to you”
b) Photos (50%)
- Composition (depth, framing, balance, symmetry, viewpoint)
- Creativity (artistic approach, interesting/unique choice of subject)
- Technical (Difficulty of creating image)
- Relevance to the theme “being “Alpha” and what “Be Alpha” means to you”
The five (5) Entries with the highest scores will be deemed the potential winners. In the event of a tie, the Entry with the highest Essay score for Quality of composition will be deemed a potential winner. The judges’ decisions on all matters pertaining to judging, administering and/or interpreting the rules of this Contest are final. Winning a prize is subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules.
WINNER NOTIFICATION: Potential winners will be notified on or about 11/28/18. Potential winners will be required to sign and return a W-9 and Declaration of Eligibility/Release of Liability/Publicity Release Form within five (5) days of notification. Noncompliance within this time period may result in disqualification and an alternate may be selected by awarding prize to the next highest scoring Entry. All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of each winner. Winners will be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the value of the prize and are advised to seek independent counsel regarding the tax implications of his/her respective prize winnings.
PRIZES/APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (“ARV”): Five (5) Prizes are available. Each Prize consists of one (1) trip to Kauai and Hawaii, HI for the winner ONLY to be taken January 28, 2019 – February 1, 2019. ARV: $6,000 each Prize.
• One-way coach airfare from a major airport near winner’s residence (as determined at the sole discretion of Sponsor) to Kauai, HI on Sponsor-specified airline;
• 4 days/3 nights cottage accommodations at Waimea Plantation Cottages in Kauai;
• 65-minute guided Kauai Island air tour;
• 5-1/2 hour private sailing Catamaran Charter tour along the Na Pali Coast and snorkeling at Kauai Island (snorkeling gear provided);
• Private All-Terrain vehicle guided tour on Kauai Island.
• Airfare from Kauai Island to Big Island;
• 2 days/1 night hotel accommodations at a Sponsor-specified hotel on Big Island, HI;
• Private night photography tour in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park;
• Dinner and Luau show at a Sponsor-specified historic Hawaiian plantation;
• One-way coach airfare from Big Island, HI to a major airport near winner’s residence (as determined at the sole discretion of Sponsor).
Trip must be taken on dates specified by the Sponsor. If a potential winner cannot take the trip on date specified by the Sponsor, the potential winner will be disqualified, and the Sponsor may award the prize to the next highest scoring Entrant, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, time permitting. Actual retail value may vary depending on airfare fluctuations. Any difference between stated approximate retail value and actual value will not be awarded. All other travel-related expenses, including but not limited to ground transportation not specified, parking, luggage fees, gratuities and incidental hotel and personal expenses are the sole responsibility of each winner. Once trip is booked, any changes made at winner’s request are at winner’s expense. Each winner must possess required travel documents (e.g. valid Photo ID) prior to departure. If a winner lives in Hawaii, winner will be awarded $600 in lieu of air transportation.
The Sponsor is not responsible if any of the above listed trip experiences are delayed, postponed or cancelled for any reason, after ticketing of prize for any reason, in whole or in part. In that event, winner will receive remainder of the prize. No compensation will be paid in lieu of any cancelled trip experiences.
Prize consists of only the items specifically listed as the prize. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any portion of the prize of with a prize equal or greater value. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of prize by winner permitted.
PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest and acceptance of a prize constitutes winner’s consent for Sponsor to use winner’s name, likeness, prize information, city and state of residence for promotional purposes in any media without further consideration.
Conditions of Participation: As a condition of entering, participants agree to release and hold Sponsor, Administrator and their respective parent entities, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any companies who are promotional participants or prize providers, and Web masters and Web supplies, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (collectively, “Released Parties”) harmless against any liability for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons, including death, or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize, or participation in this Contest or any Contest related activity, or for any printing, production, typographical, human or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize.
Limitations on Liability: Released Parties are not responsible for illegible, lost, late, damaged, destroyed, inaccurate, delayed, incomplete, unintelligible, non-delivered, misdirected, stolen entries; or for incomplete, inaccurate, lost, interrupted or unavailable network, satellite, telephone networks or lines, cellular towers or equipment (including handsets), computer online systems, computer equipment, software, viruses or bugs, servers or providers, or other connections, availability or accessibility; or for unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries; or miscommunications, failed computer, telephone, cellular, satellite, or cable transmissions, lines or other technical failure; or for jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions, computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties; or for any other errors of any kind, whether human, technical, mechanical, electronic or network, including, without limitation, any errors which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest or in any Contest-related materials; or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry or other information, or the failure to capture any such information. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Contest website, as solely determined by the Sponsor, will be disqualified, and Sponsor reserves the right to terminate such entrant’s eligibility to participate in this or any other promotion offered by Sponsor. Entries generated by robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated means or by any means which subvert the entry process will be disqualified. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to participants’ or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading materials from the website. Should any portion of the Contest be, in Sponsor’s opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of entries, Sponsor reserves the right at their sole discretion to suspend or terminate the Contest, and select winners, from all non-suspect, eligible entries received prior to action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. Without limiting the release provided above, and for greater certainty, Released Parties will not be liable for (a) any incomplete or inaccurate information, whether caused by wireless device users or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest, or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of entries; (b) the theft, destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; (c) any problems with or technical malfunctions of telephone networks or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, viruses or bugs; (d) any failure of any message to be received by or from Sponsor for any reason including but not limited to traffic congestion on the Internet or wireless waves or at any Web site or combination thereof; or (e) damage to a participant’s or other person’s system or equipment occasioned by participation in this Contest.
IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE WEBSITE OR DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM WWW.ALPHAUNIVERSE.COM, OR ANY OTHER WEB SITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST. ALL CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION AND ANY AND ALL CLAIMS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED, EXCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND COURT COSTS. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THE WEBSITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
Governing Law: Except where prohibited by law, all issues concerning the construction, validity and enforcement of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor, shall be construed and governed by the laws of the state of California, without regard to conflicts of law. All suits or claims brought in connection with this Contest must be brought in a state or federal court in San Diego, California.
Winners List: The winners will be posted at www.AlphaUniverse.com/social after all winners have been contacted and verified.
Sponsor: Sony Electronics Inc., 16535 Via Esprillo, San Diego, CA 92127
Administrator: Gage Marketing Group, LLC, 10000 Highway 55, Minneapolis, MN 55441
Copyright 2018 Sony Electronics Inc.