New Sony Xperia 1 II brings advanced photography and filmmaking tools from Sony Alpha and professional filmmaking cameras to the new Xperia 1 II smartphone. The new Xperia has a triple camera array and features Real-time Eye AF and 20 fps high-speed shooting, among other advancements. Learn more about Xperia 1 II and see the full release below.
Sony’s New Flagship Xperia 1 II Smartphone Delivers the Complete Creative Entertainment Experience
Flagship Model Offers World’s First Smartphone with up to 20 fps Continuous Shooting Capability
- Triple camera array and 3D iTof sensor incorporating industry-leading Sony Alpha technology and ZEISS optics with T* coating calibrated specifically for Xperia.
- Advanced autofocus camera technology enables the world’s first smartphone camera capable of up to 20 fps(2) continuous shooting with 60 times per second(1) AF/AE(3) calculations
- Real-time Eye AF4 for humans and animals(2)
- Photography Pro and Cinematography Pro functions offer more user control
over photo, video and movie creation.
- 21:9 CinemaWide 6.5-inch 4K HDR OLED display(3) delivers unprecedented color
- True front stereo speakers, a 3.5mm audio jack, and new 360 Reality Audio(4) with unique hardware decoding to optimize sound quality
- Qualcomm® SnapdragonTM 865 Mobile Platform, with high-capacity 4000mAh battery with wireless charging for optimal speed and performance
SAN DIEGO — Feb. 24, 2020 — Sony today announced its new flagship smartphone, the Xperia 1 II. The new phone leverages even more of Sony’s most innovative technologies, breaking new ground in smartphone camera capabilities and elevating the entertainment experience in a mobile device.
Capture the Decisive Moment with High-speed Shooting
Designed with Sony’s Alpha industry-leading AF technology, the newly developed triple camera array with focal lengths of 16mm, 24mm and 70mm supports advanced photo technologies with outstanding ZEISS optics calibrated specifically for Xperia 1 II, as well as ZEISS T* coating, which contributes to exquisite rendering and contrast by reducing reflections.
Utilizing technology developed for Alpha interchangeable lens cameras, Xperia 1 II offers continuous autofocus and auto-exposure that performs AF/AE(3) calculations at 60 times per second(4).
This enables the world's first(1) AF/AE(3) continuous tracking for high-speed shooting at a maximum of 20 fps(2) which is especially useful for shooting moving subjects such as children or animals(5) and fast-moving sports. Focus and follow the subject with high precision and capture decisive moments that you do not want to miss.
Furthermore, "Real-time Eye AF(4)“, which locks focus on the subject’s eye for stunning portrait shots, is now available for both humans and animals.
Xperia 1 II fast focus also works in low light conditions delivering quality images in challenging circumstances thanks to four technologies working together:
- dual-photo diode sensor(5)
- an autofocus system that covers approximately 70 percent of the sensor(6)
- the 3D iToF sensor(7)
- a new large 1/1.7” Exmor RSTM for mobile sensor, which is 1.5x more sensitive
than the previous model, resulting in faster and more accurate AF in low light shooting.
Advanced Capture Modes for Photos, Videos and Movie Creation
The new Photography Pro function with technology from Alpha brings a user interface that is familiar to Alpha cameras, with manual controls to set ISO, shutter speed, burst mode, autofocus area, exposure control and more.
Cinematography Pro, powered by CineAlta, newly supports 2K 120fps 10 bit HDR cinematic high frame rate shooting(8) and 21:9 4K HDR recording at 24/25/30/60fps(9) to create cinematographic shooting experiences. Touch AF, Metered Manual controls for setting exposure, level meter and improved white balance settings offer more manual control, while the unique Intelligent wind filter technology from Sony reduces noise and wind interference for clear audio recording.
Whether users are listening to music or watching movies, the Xperia 1 II is finely tuned for an immaculate entertainment experience. Motion blur reduction technology is equivalent to that of a 90Hz display and reduces frame lag for a clearer image quality. It also features Dolby Atmos® sound, tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment, to deliver a multi-dimensional surround sound experience.
Drawing on Sony’s expertise both in audio hardware and music entertainment, the Xperia 1 II has been engineered to deliver a truly authentic listening experience with the audio tuned in collaboration with Sony Music Entertainment.
The aural experience is taken even further with the world’s first(10) smartphone featuring 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding to optimize sound quality when listening to music on the global music and entertainment platform TIDAL(11).
High-quality music can be enjoyed through true front stereo speakers using either wired headphones connected to the 3.5mm jack, or wireless headphones via Bluetooth. Significant audio tuning has reduced crosstalk to an imperceptible 20dB, which is over 90 percent lower than USB-C headphone connections.
In addition to featuring High-resolution Audio and High-resolution Wireless Audio(12), Xperia 1 II introduces DSEE Ultimate. This new technology utilizes artificial intelligence to automatically improve audio frequency and bit rate in real-time, taking each track close to high-resolution audio. It works with wired or wireless headphones, and with local or streaming music.
Built for Exceptional Gaming
The expansive 6.5-inch 21:9 4K HDR OLED screen takes mobile gaming to the next level by offering a wider field-of-view for user gameplay. True front stereo speakers, enhanced touch sensitivity, direct connection to PlayStation®4's DUALSHOCK®4(13) Wireless Controller, and motion blur reduction technology for smoother action, make gaming on Xperia more immersive than ever.
Supporting the gaming experience further, the Game Enhancer mode, which optimizes the game’s processing performance on the device, has been improved with additional functionality on Xperia 1 II, such as “Competition Set,” which pins a game to the screen and turns Xperia into a dedicated gaming device, making it ideal for competitive matches and Esports.
Enhanced Performance and Power Management
With the Qualcomm® SnapdragonTM 865 Mobile Platform, Xperia 1 II empowers you to game, capture, cross-task and connect like never before with improved performance and 25 percent faster CPU and GPU performance than the previous model.
Smart and Powerful
Xperia 1 II is powered by a high-capacity 4,000mAh battery with fast charge that charges up to 50 percent in just 30 minutes(14) and features Qi fast wireless charging for a fast battery boost while on the move. Sony continues to develop battery technologies to improve the lifespan and keep the battery healthier for longer, including AI-powered ‘Battery Care’ that adapts to your personal routine.
The Xperia 1 II comes with IP65/68 water resistance(15) and Corning® Gorilla® Glass 6 on both sides, making it sturdy as well as beautifully designed.
Xperia 1 II comes with AndroidTM 10 and will be available in the U.S. market in 2020. Xperia 1 II will be available for purchase unlocked from Sony authorized retailers and will be compatible with Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket and MetroPCS networks.
1) Effective with 24mm lens. This function can be taken with "Photography Pro". Effective when shutter speed is 1/60 second or faster. It may vary depending on the shooting environment.
2) Accurate focus may not be achieved with certain subjects in certain situations and this does not work with all types of animals.
3) Display ratios may vary based on content formatting.
4) 360 Reality Audio requires a subscription to a compatible online music service, and third-party terms, conditions, account, and
fees may apply.
5) Dual Photo Diode available for 16mm and 24mm cameras.
6) Available on 24mm camera
7) Up to 5m distance. For videos 3D iToF sensor works for 70mm.
8) Video clip shot in 120fps high frame rate will be recorded and played back in slow motion. Slow motion effect varies depending
on project FPS rate such as x2 x4 x4.8 x5.
9) Recording time restrictions apply. Quality of playback subject to platform and device screen capabilities.
10) Xperia 1 II features on-device 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding. Hardware decoding works with TIDAL. Third party terms, conditions, account, and fees may apply. Service availability may vary by market. Verified by Strategy Analytics' SpecTRAX Service against the current audio specifications for over 16,000 smartphones. Correct as of the 23rd February 2020.
†360 Reality Audio requires a subscription to a compatible online music service, and third party terms, conditions, account, and fees may apply.
††360 Reality Audio hardware decoding works with TIDAL. Third party terms, conditions, account, and fees may apply. Service availability may vary by market.
11) Third party terms, conditions, account, and fees may apply. Service availability may vary by market.
12) High-resolution Audio and High-Resolution Audio Wireless require compatible headset.
13) DUALSHOCK®4 and XD mount sold separately. Compatibility with game titles may vary.
14) Charges up to 50% in just 30 minutes (using 21W USB PD charger, accessory sold separately)
15) XPERIA 1 II is water resistant and protected against dust, so don’t worry if you get caught in the rain or want to wash off dirtunder a tap, but remember all ports and attached covers should be firmly closed. You should not put the device completely underwater; or expose it to seawater, salt water, chlorinated water or liquids such as drinks. Abuse and improper use of device will invalidate warranty. The device has been tested under Ingress Protection rating IP65/68. For more info, see support.sonymobile.com/global-en/dm/waterresistant/. Note the XPERIA 1 II has a capless USB port to connect and charge. The USB port needs to be completely dry before charging.