When I have an assignment that requires me to be mobile and shoot from unpredictable places, I need to pack much lighter than I normally do while still being prepared for whatever gets thrown at me.
- Sony α7R III: The α7R III is an amazing camera. It’s super-fast, high-resolution and it has a great autofocus system. It’s the perfect camera for me when I’m doing run and gun stills.
- Sony RX0: The RX0 is incredibly versatile for me because of its small size and great image quality. It’s tiny and it’s especially good for behind-the-scenes stills and video.
Because this is my lightweight, run and gun kit, I want to keep the number of lenses to a minimum. With these three zooms, I can cover almost anything.
- Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 G Master: This 24-70mm is great for its versatility. It’s sharp at the wide f/2.8 maximum aperture which lets me get a beautiful, soft background and a tack-sharp subject.
- Sony 70-200mm f/4 G: The 70-200mm f/4 is great for tight portraits and anytime I need a longer focal length. I give up the f/2.8 of the 70-200mm G Master to have this slightly smaller tele zoom.
- Sony/Zeiss 16-35mm f/4: Since it came out the 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master has received a lot of attention, but for my run and gun kit, I still like the smaller, lighter 16-35mm f/4.
- Sony HVL-F45M Flash and Sony FA-WRC1M Wireless Commander: I carry the flash in case I need some extra light somewhere, and the radio so I can easily use it off camera.
- NP FZ100 batteries and rechargeable AA batteries: I always pack extra batteries. Always.
- Sony G SD Cards. With a fast-shooting, high-resolution camera like the α7R III, having fast memory cards matters. The Sony cards I use are the fastest SD cards currently available.
- X-Rite Color Checker Passport: Correct color is always important. I use the Color Checker whenever time allows.
- Gossen Star-Lite 2 Lightmeter: Having a handheld meter can help tremendously, especially if I toss in the flash.
- iPad Mini: I use the PlayMemories camera app to send files to my iPad Mini for the client to review in real time. It’s bigger than a phone and smaller than a laptop.
- Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50: A great, comfortable backpack that carries all this with ease.