San Diego, CA – September 17, 2020 -- Sony Electronics today announced the Xperia 5 II (mark two), the newest addition to the Xperia smartphone family, offering users a compact design with speed, innovation and industry-leading performance.
- Award-winning camera technologies from Alpha brand series cameras, including Real-time Eye AF1 and up to 20 fps2 burst shooting with continuous autofocus that performs AF / AE calculations at 60 times per second3.
- World’s first 4K HDR 120fps slow-motion movie recording in a smartphone4 can capture and play back up to 5x slow-motion when recorded at 24fps, further expanding the possibilities of cinematic expression.
- Immersive 21:9 CinemaWide™ 6.1” FHD+ HDR OLED display5 delivers unprecedented color accuracy with Creator mode “powered by CineAlta” technology.
- Built for gaming with a 120Hz Refresh rate6 display and 240Hz Motion blur reduction7 for smooth action, plus 240Hz touch scanning rate5 and touch response improvements by 356 percent when compared to previous model for quick and accurate gaming control.
- Next-Generation processing8 power with Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 865, and high capacity 4,000mAh battery with fast charging for optimal speed and performance.
- The perfect size and packed with the latest innovative Sony technology in a compact ergonomic design (W 2.68 in x D 0.31 in) that fits comfortably in a hand or pocket.
Xperia 5 II leverages many of the leading features from the Xperia 1 II, including a triple lens camera with ZEISS optics, calibrated specifically for the Xperia 5 II. Also included are the Photography Pro feature (with technology from Alpha brand series cameras), the Cinematography Pro feature (”powered by CineAlta” enabling parameters and color settings used by professional filmmakers), and a 21:9 CinemaWide display. Xperia 5 II boasts the World’s first 4K HDR 120fps slow-motion movie recording in a smartphone4 and can capture and playback up to 5x slow-motion when recorded at 24fps. Powerful audio features include High-Resolution14 Audio, a 3.5mm audio jack, and front-facing stereo speakers. All of these features are driven by the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 865 processor, in a slim, compact and beautiful design that easily fits in a pocket. The Xperia 5 II also adds a 120Hz refresh display rate and 240Hz touch scanning rate to give the smoothest and most accurate gaming experience.
Capture perfect shots and unmissable moments
Taking a page from of its sibling (Xperia 1 II)’s book, the Xperia 5 II is designed with technology from the award-winning Alpha brand series cameras, including Real-time Eye AF1, continuous Autofocus that performs AF / AE calculations at 60 times per second and up to 20fps shooting.
Powerful Visual Storytelling Tools, Exquisite Images
The versatile triple lens camera with three focal lengths: 16mm/24mm/70mm, lets you capture beautiful landscapes and portraits, and also zoom in on distant subjects. The ZEISS optics are specifically calibrated for the Xperia 5 II and feature the renowned ZEISS T* coating for reduced reflection, resulting in exquisite contrast and image rendering.
Like the Xperia 1 II, the Xperia 5 II offers Photography Pro, a user interface developed in collaboration with professional photographers to mirror many of the manual controls available in Alpha brand series cameras, including ISO, Shutter Speed and EV Indicator, while also providing RAW image capture and noise reduction support.
Leading Technology for Film and Video Storytelling
Cinematography Pro “powered by CineAlta” now enables more choice for story-telling with dramatic slow-motion cinematography creation, making it the world’s first 4K HDR 120fps slow-motion movie recording in a smartphone which can capture and playback up to 5x slow-motion when set at 24fps. It also records in 21:9 ratio at 24/25/30/60fps9, enhancing cinematic expression. Eight different Look color management pre-sets allow you to change the mood of your scenes to different cinema styles. In addition, Sony’s unique Intelligent wind filter technology uses award-winning audio separation technology to reduce wind interference for clearer audio recording.
Gaming on the Go
The combination of Xperia 5 II’s premium entertainment features allow it to transform into a mobile gaming powerhouse. Get deeper into the action with an immersive 21:9 display, Game enhancer-powered ultra-fast performance, 120Hz refresh rate display, and precise 240Hz touch scanning rate, meaning that the Xperia 5 II sets you up with a strong advantage to win whichever game you are playing. All features have been developed through close work with professional e-sports gamers to ensure the best features and gaming experience.
The 21:9 display is wider than conventional displays, revealing more of the action so you can see your opponents before they see you and take the advantage, especially in first-person shooter games. Not only do you get an unrestricted view of the gaming action on the native 120Hz refresh rate display, with even fast-moving objects rendered clearly and smoothly, but the Xperia 5 II also delivers 240Hz Motion blur reduction, meaning the display updates the image an incredible 240 times per second for blur-free action.
For games that require fast fingers, the Xperia 5 II gives you the edge. The device supports 240Hz touch scanning rate, a rate which is up to 4x higher than the previous model10 – meaning the action happens exactly as intended, with high-precision control. Touch response has been improved by 35 percent compared to the previous model, with the system recognizing your touch at the precise moment intended.
Game enhancer also offers a range of features and settings to help you improve your gameplay and secure more wins within your competitive set. You can also share your best moments, in the form of screenshots, and audio or video clips. Power management through HS Power Control also allows you to play longer while avoiding overheating.
To take your gaming to the next level, connect a PlayStation®4 DUALSHOCK®411 Wireless Controller and play Android games with an authentic gaming experience.
Xperia is the official smartphone of the Call of Duty®: Mobile World Championship Tournament 2020, and the Xperia 5 II is ready to answer the call. Whether you’re playing for fun or serious about winning the title, the Xperia 5 II provides an optimized, high-quality experience with its unique tuning in collaboration with Qualcomm® Snapdragon Elite Gaming™.
A Powerful “Pocket Perfect” Device for All Video and Music
Xperia 5 II is perfect for movie lovers, with its 21:9 CinemaWide 6.1” FHD+ HDR OLED notchless display, it puts the widescreen experience in the palm of your hand. The color reproduction of movies is unmatched, powered by Sony’s professional expertise and technology from leading Hollywood studio productions. The Creator mode “powered by CineAlta” brings content to life exactly as it was envisioned. The X1™ for mobile engine brings BRAVIA® HDR remastering technology to everything you watch, enhancing the contrast, color and clarity of any content, including streaming services. The 120Hz refresh rate also ensures smooth scrolling and internet browsing.
Xperia is known and loved for delivering great audio, and the Xperia 5 II delivers with a truly immersive entertainment experience. Watch a movie with Dolby Atmos® sound, tuned in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment, for a multi-dimensional surround sound experience. Music also sounds better, with audio tuned in collaboration with Sony Music Entertainment, delivering a truly authentic listening experience. 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding optimizes sound quality when listening to music on the global music and entertainment platform such as TIDAL12. And new TIDAL subscribers will get 3 months of TIDAL Hi-Fi free when they buy an Xperia 5 II13, which includes the 360 Reality Audio experience.
High-quality music can be enjoyed through the front stereo speakers or when using headphones either wirelessly or with the 3.5mm audio jack. The jack provides clearer left and right audio separation to reduce signal noise to an imperceptible 20dB - over 90 percent lower than standard USB-C headphone connections.
Whatever the format, Xperia 5 II ensures you get the best experience out of music. With High-Resolution and High-Resolution Wireless Audio14, Xperia 5 II offers DSEE Ultimate, which enhances the quality of digital music using AI, including audio and video content on streaming services. It also automatically improves audio frequency and dynamic range in real-time, taking each track close to high-resolution audio
Compact and Powerful
At just 2.68 inches wide and 0.31 inches in depth, the Xperia 5 II is tailor-made for one-handed use—It has even been designed with a less-pronounced corner shape compared to its predecessor, for a more comfortable feel, and a perfect fit for your hand or pocket.
Compact and powerful, Xperia 5 II is powered by a high-capacity 4,000mAh battery with a fast charge feature that charges up to 50 percent in just 30 minutes15. With a considerable heritage in developing cutting-edge battery technologies to extend battery lifespan, Sony is confident that the Xperia 5 II will have a healthy battery, even after two years of average usage16.
The Xperia 5 II includes the processing power of the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 865, Corning® Gorilla® Glass 6 on both sides and has an IP65/68 rating for water resistance17.
In the U.S., the Xperia 5 II will be available unlocked in black and comes equipped with Android™ 10. The Xperia 5 II will be available for pre-order for about $950 on September 29, 2020 and ships to customers on December 4, 2020.
Preorder Xperia 5 II by November 29, 2020 and receive a gaming bundle worth over $400 including a gaming headset, a 10,000mAh power bank and 21,600 Call of Duty Mobile Points at direct.sony.com/xperia or other participating Sony authorized retailers. Xperia 5 II will be compatible with Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket networks.
Please follow #SonyXperiaUS on Twitter, visit @SonyXperiaUS on Instagram and Twitter and @SonyMobileUS on Facebook for all of the latest news on Xperia.
1. Accurate focus may not be achieved with certain subjects in certain situations and this does not work with all types of animals.
2. Maximum fps will depend on shooting environment and settings. Up to 20fps continuous shooting with AF/AE is available for 24mm camera. 16mm and 70mm camera can shoot up to 10fps AF/AE.
3. Effective with a versatile 24mm lens. This function can be taken with "Photography Pro". Effective when shutter speed is 1/60 second or faster. It may vary depending on the shooting environment.
4. Xperia 5 II main camera feature 4K HDR 120fps slow-motion movie recording. Verified by Strategic Analytics´ SpecTRAX Service against the published camera specifications for over 17,500 smartphones. Correct as of the 17th September 2020. Recording time restrictions apply. 4K HDR 120fps available on Cinematography Pro on the 24mm camera.
5. Display ratios may vary based on content formatting
6. The feature may vary by content, game availability and compatibility.
7. 240Hz Motion blur reduction is a Game enhancer feature. Taking the 120Hz display refresh rate, it inserts a black frame in between each frame to provide the equivalent visual effect of 240Hz refresh rate. The result is blur-free images with marginally decreased brightness. The feature may vary by content, game availability and compatibility.
8. 5G network depends on market and operator
9. Recording time restrictions apply.
10. Previous model: Xperia 5
11. DUALSHOCK®4 and XD mount sold separately. Compatibility with game titles may vary.
12. 360 Reality Audio requires a subscription to a compatible online music service, and third party terms, conditions, account, and fees may apply.
14. High-Resolution Audio and High-Resolution Audio Wireless require compatible headset.
15. Charges up to 50% in just 30 minutes (using 21W USB PD charger, accessory sold separately)
16. Simulated result by Sony Mobile Communications Inc., based on actual usage profile using the same type of battery. The life span of the battery depends on your usage situation.
17. This device is water resistant and protected against dust. All ports and attached covers should be firmly closed. Do not put the device completely underwater or expose it to seawater, salt water, chlorinated water or liquids such as drinks. Abuse and improper use of device will invalidate warranty. The device has been tested under Ingress Protection rating IP65/68. Sony devices that are tested for their water resistant abilities are placed gently inside a container filled with tap water and lowered to a depth of 1.5 metres. After 30 minutes in the container, the device is gently taken out and its functions and features are tested. Note this model has a capless USB port to connect and charge. The USB port needs to be completely dry before charging.
18. Timing and availability will vary by country.
About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation is a creative entertainment company with a solid foundation of technology. From game and network services to music, pictures, electronics, semiconductors and financial services - Sony's purpose is to fill the world with emotion through the power of creativity and technology. For more information, visit: http://www.sony.net/
“SONY” and “Xperia” are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
“PlayStation” is a registered trademark or trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
“DUALSHOCK” is a registered trademark or trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
Qualcomm and Snapdragon are trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated, registered in the United States and other countries. Snapdragon Elite Gaming is a trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated. Qualcomm Snapdragon and Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming are products of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Dolby, Dolby Atmos, and the double-D symbol are among the registered and unregistered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories, Inc. in the Unites States and/or other countries.
©2020 Activision Publishing, Inc. ACTIVISION and CALL OF DUTY are trademarks of Activision Publishing, Inc.
© 1998 - 2020 Tencent. All Rights Reserved.
Tencent and Tencent Games are trademarks of Tencent Holdings Limited.