Some of the best ways creators can support one another during this time are by staying connected, sharing wisdom and challenging each other to continue creating under the current circumstances. Many of our Sony Artisans and Alpha Collective members are currently offering ways to educate and inspire the creator community. Check out our roundup of online workshops, challenges, how-to’s and more below.
Listen, Watch, Learn
- Sony Artisan Tony Gale just started up a new podcast series interviewing other Sony Alpha photographers while in social isolation. Check out the full series at sonyalphaphotographers.com.
- #CreatorConversations Virtual Meetups give you the chance to hear directly from creators and ask your questions live. Next up is a Live Edit With Brooke Shaden at 12pm PT on April 21. Stay tuned to the Alpha Universe calendar for more added each week.
- Sony Artisan Robert Evans live-streams his own YouTube series called, “The Pixel Show.” He’s inspiring others in their photography during this time by revisiting old shots and telling the story behind how he captured them. Check out The Pixel Show on YouTube for more.
- Matt Kloskowski is hosting a free online live session just about every day during social isolation. See the schedule and watch the replays here. Don't miss your chance to have Matt edit your photo live during his Sony Alpha Photo Makeover Event. The Sony Artisan also creates full online courses for photographers regularly, and during this time he’s offering a 50% discount to those classes.
- Nate Luebbe (@nateinthewild) of the Alpha Collective is known for his awe-inspiring landscape shots. After many requests lately from his audience on how his editing process goes, he’s provided a full YouTube video walking you through from start to finish. Check out his YouTube Channel for more videos during social isolation, including an interview with a cinematographer and an ultimate guide to timelapses.
- If you’ve always thought about giving self-portraiture a try, now is the time. With social distancing in place, there’s no better subject than yourself at the moment. Sony Artisan Brooke Shaden is our resident self-portraiture expert, and during social isolation she’s providing all kinds of content on self-portraiture to inspire others to create. Watch her complete How-To Guide To Self-Portraiture to get your start.
- Rachel Jones Ross (@rachel_jones_ross) of the Alpha Collective is offering an online night photography workshop, "Night Photography in Your Pajamas,” April 13-22. Learn more about the workshop and purchase your registration here.
- Sony Artisans Cristina Mittermeier (@mitty) and Paul Nicklen (@paulnicklen) are giving back to the community during this time through #OceanSchool! Each day through their personal Instagram accounts and the @sealegacy account, they provide some incredible information about the creature they've photographed along with a photo.
- Wedding photographer Henry Tieu (@henrysdiary) of the Alpha Collective is creating and sharing YouTube videos about running a business during social isolation and things you can do in the meantime to generate income. See the first one on using Pinterest to get more views and clients for wedding photography, and visit his YouTube Channel for more.
- Photographer and designer Autumn Schrock (@autpops) of the Alpha Collective is offering one-on-one workshops online. You can cover anything from what you'd like to learn, including post-processing techniques, social media strategies and website layout. Learn more about Autumn in, "Inside The Life Of An Adventure Photographer" and check out her website to purchase a one-on-one session.
- Sony Artisan Me Ra Koh is offering her Confidence Photography Workshop For Women online for the first time! You'll cover shooting in manual, window light, storytelling, composition and more. Learn more and register here.
- Sony Artisan Michael Rubenstein has held several "Live with Rubee" Instagram Live sessions with special guests from the photo, design and art world. Follow his Instagram @mrubee for more.
Read About It
- Sony Artisan Caroline Jensen is an excellent macro photographer and educator. She’s sharing her expertise on AlphaUniverse.com through her Macro Therapy: Quick Start Guide and What’s In My Bag: Caroline Jensen’s Camera & Lens Combinations For Macro Therapy In The Age Of Social Distancing.
- Renee Hahnel of the Alpha Collective is used to roaming the world to capture the great outdoors. Since that’s not possible right now, she put together a blog that tells you how you can responsibly enjoy nature during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Hint: it’s not just about getting outdoors, but also how you can bring the outdoors in!) Read the full blog post here and keep up with her on Instagram @reneeroaming.
- Sony Artisan Colby Brown has provided A Photographers Guide To Navigating The Pandemic as a resource to help you through all aspects of this time, from the virus itself to dealing with the financial impacts.
- Having trouble knowing how to fill your time during social isolation? Sony Artisan Brian Smith put together a guide on "What Photographers Can Do During The COVID-19 Pandemic Lockdown" to help you stay productive and weather the financial storm.
- Highlights from #CreatorConversations, an AMA series hosted by @sonyalpha on Instagram, are posted on AlphaUniverse.com. See the highlights from AMAs with Dave Krugman, Quay Hu, Ben Moon, Chris Orwig, Nate Luebbe, Cristina Mittermeier, Autumn Schrock, Renan Ozturk, Rachel Jones Ross, Stan Moniz, Charly Savely, Scott Kranz, Peter McBride and Erin Sullivan.
- Once you’ve checked out Sony Artisan Brooke Shaden’s How-To Guide To Self-Portraiture, then give it a try and enter the #WhiteWallWednesdayPortraits challenge (Learn more here.) Stay tuned to her YouTube Channel for more.
- Alpha Collective member Erin Sullivan (@erinoutdoors) is taking her outdoor photography indoors, but not how you might expect. She’s created the #OurGreatIndoors challenge to inspire you to create your own miniature landscape shots with what you have at home. Learn more about it here.
- Join the #BeTheEarth Photo Challenge! Post your photos representing your interpretation of #BeTheEarth to Instagram & tag them with #BeTheEarth, #BeAlpha, and @sonyalpha – we'll be featuring some of our favorites.