As social distancing and orders to stay at home continue, the creator community needs to stick together now more than ever. This week Sony was proud to announce the establishment of the “Sony Global Relief Fund for COVID-19, a $100 million fund to support those around the world affected by the virus. See more on how the Sony Alpha community is coming together and pushing through to the other side of the coronavirus shutdown in this week’s roundup of articles. But first, watch this message from our #AlphaFamily to yours:
Sony Alpha #CreatorConversations
Join these virtual meetups for the opportunity to connect and ask questions live with our lineup of Artisans of Imagery and members of the Alpha Imaging Collective. See the next scheduled meetup below and click the link to register. Check the Alpha Universe calendar for future virtual meetups as they are announced.
- Tuesday, April 7 at 3pm ET/12pm PT: Sony Alpha #CreatorConversations: Anatomy Of A Great Photography Website With Colby Brown
#CreatorConversations On Instagram
Hosted by @sonyalpha on Instagram, these AMA (Ask My Anything) sessions invite followers to ask their favorite creatives questions in the comments. See the highlights from those featured so far below, and follow @sonyalpha and #CreatorConversations for more.
- AMA With Dave Krugman
- AMA With Nate Luebbe
- AMA With Chris Orwig
- AMA With Autumn Schrock
- AMA With Quay Hu
- AMA With Cristina Mittermeier
- AMA With Ben Moon
- AMA With Renan Ozturk
- AMA With Rachel Jones Ross
Content For Creators During Social Isolation
Ways To Stay Creative During COVID-19
- Macro Therapy With Caroline Jensen: 5 Quick Lighting Tips – In this second session of Macro Therapy With Caroline Jensen (see the first one here), the Sony Artisan shares five quick tips for lighting your macro shots.
- It Starts With A Sketch: How This Photographer Strives to Create A Self-Portrait Every Day – Using a Sony α7R II, normal prime & natural light, self-portrait photographer Lillian Merritt (@strengthofatlantis) creates stunning art during social isolation.
- Paul Gero Joins The Alpha Universe Podcast To Talk About Portraits In The Time Of Corona – Photojournalist, portrait photographer and Sony Artisan Paul Gero joins Alpha Universe editor Christopher Robinson to talk about his Portraits In The Time Of Corona project.
- See How These Photographers Are Finding Creative Outlets This Instagram Follow Friday – Macro, the great indoors, pet portraits – see how these photographers are staying creative during social distancing.
- See How This Documentary Photographer Captures An Empty Los Angeles – Documentary photographer Robert LeBlanc photographs Los Angeles devoid of traffic, pedestrians and activity, on his bike with his Sony RX100 V.
- Introducing #WhiteWallWednesdayPortraits...A Self-Portrait Photo Challenge For Social Isolation – Alpha Universe is teaming up with Sony Artisan of Imagery Brooke Shaden on a different kind of photo challenge that's perfect for coronavirus self-isolation.
- Get Creative In Isolation…See How This Pet Portrait Pro Does It – For #SonyAlphaFemale Stephanie Zimmer, a career pivot set her on the path to being a pet portrait pro. See her story and her tips on gear and techniques.
- Photographer Discovers Backyard Bird Photography During Social Distancing – Mahesh Thapa (@starvingphotographer) of the Alpha Collective puts a versatile, Sony tele-zoom to the test as he explores backyard bird photography while social distancing.
- What’s In My Bag: Caroline Jensen’s Camera & Lens Combinations For Macro Therapy In The Age Of Social Distancing – Macro photography is a perfect creative outlet for photographers who are isolated and practicing social distancing. See how you can explore the infinite landscapes that macro serves up in your viewfinder.
- What's In My Bag: My Four Top Lenses For Portrait Photography – Learn the top 5 mistakes you should avoid in portrait photography from Sony Artisan and pro portrait photographer Brian Smith.
- Camera Setup: How Garrett King Gets Results Using Sony's EVF & Custom Buttons – Learn how Alpha Collective member Garrett King (@shortstache) uses Sony's EVF & Custom Buttons to shoot more efficiently and produce great results every time.
- Cameralabs.com's Incredibly In-Depth Review Of The Sony 20mm f/1.8 G Lens – Gordon Laing of CameraLabs.com tests the Sony 20mm f/1.8 G lens and provides his comprehensive analysis of the results.
Support For Creators
- Sony Establishes $100 Million COVID-19 Global Relief Fund – Sony has announced the establishment of the “Sony Global Relief Fund for COVID-19,” a $100 million fund to support those around the world affected by COVID-19.
- From Our #AlphaFamily To Yours – There is no greater time than now to connect with new and old friends, share the stories you haven’t yet told, and learn the things you have always been curious about.
- CARES Act Gives Photographers, Other Freelancers Benefits – We take a look at the new coronavirus economic relief plan and what it means for photographers.